The work motivation of an employee is one of the fundamental and main ingredients that help to establish the success of a company. A good rate of motivation of both a person in our organisation and an entire team considerably increases productivity and consequently the growth of an organisation, in other words, motivated workers will be more competitive workers.
For this reason we cannot overlook such an important variable, and both the people department and leadership must work together to promote and develop this area.
But the question is, how do we work to motivate our teams? What are the main keys that we cannot forget?
In this article, Talent we tell you 10 effective keys that you can put into practice today to boost not only motivation but also, consequently, the satisfaction and commitment of your people:
1. Open and transparent communication as a golden rule. To ensure a collaborative, participative environment and a good working atmosphere, it is key to promote fluid and transversal communication between all the internal teams of an organisation. It is important to be committed to open communication where everyone feels listened to and integrated, especially in the current work context where there are teams working remotely or teleworking.
2. Demonstrate empathy. It sounds easy enough, but empathy goes further than just saying "I understand you". Empathising with our teams and colleagues means acknowledging sacrifices, workloads or the difficulty of assigned projects. It is important to offer help and to convey solidarity.
3. Allow autonomy. Define what the objectives are and from there, allow each person to build the path where they feel most comfortable. When people feel in control, they feel more motivated and experience greater well-being.
4. The importance of feedback. Recognition for a job well done is a key factor in job satisfaction. Recognising and celebrating achievements inspires us to continue working in this way. It is important not to limit ourselves only to recognise a "good job" but to go further and go into details of why it was a good job and how it helped the company or team, that will be a key point to increase satisfaction and create a feeling of belonging and importance within the organisation.
5. Reward creativity. Encouraging the team to come up with new ideas through brainstorming sessions encourages everyone to feel listened to and involved in the company's activity and positive development.
6. Promote a sense of belonging. It is essential to foster the employees' feeling of belonging to the company, giving them importance to their functions and how they affect the success of the company and the relationship between them and the company.
7. Encourage fun. Doing activities outside working hours will maintain team cohesion and motivation. Always remember the phrase "a team that has fun together, stays together".
8. Proper assignment of tasks. Identify the strengths of each member of your team in order to place them in an appropriate job. Each member has different aptitudes and skills, locate them and assign tasks that allow them to develop them. This way they will feel fulfilled by doing work they enjoy and for which they are prepared.
9. Collaborative work environment. A collaborative work environment is characterised by promoting inclusiveness and fostering collaboration among team members. This approach allows everyone to feel free, motivate each other and establish a satisfying work rhythm.
10. Create an environment of certainty. Creating an environment of certainty is essential. Human beings are not equipped to deal with the excessive uncertainty that we often encounter both in the workplace and in our personal lives. Constant changes in the work landscape create a state of threat in the brain, which can result in decreased motivation, cooperation and general well-being. As a result, staff turnover tends to increase. To counteract this feeling, it is essential to communicate clear and transparent messages, ensuring that everyone is informed about the strategic direction being followed. This will reduce uncertainty and create an environment in which people feel more confident and motivated.
Written by Alexa Bel, Sales Team Lead.